Remix Your Recipe: Healthy Fried Chicken
Real Talk: isn’t fried chicken just wonderful?! Mmmm, mmm, mmm! The crunchy coating is what seals in the juices, giving this Southern standard its finger-licking flavor. Too bad it also absorbs so much fat.
But, by stripping the bird of its skin, baking instead of frying, and ditching the batter for panko crumbs, our crispy cheat carves off 240 calories and 22 grams of fat per serving.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min
• 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
• 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper (cayenne)
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 (3-pound) cut-up chicken, skin removed from all pieces except wings
• 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese-style) bread crumbs
• 1 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest (lemon peel)
1. In large self-sealing plastic bag, place buttermilk, ground red pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt, lemon zest; add chicken pieces, turning to coat. Seal bag, pressing out excess air. Refrigerate chicken at least 1 hour or preferably overnight, turning bag over once.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 15 1/2″ by 10 1/2″ jelly-roll pan with nonstick spray. In large bowl, combine panko and lemon peel.