Usher’s eleven-year-old stepson, Kyle Glover, was recently declared brain dead after a passing jet skier collided with the boy, striking him in the head and knocking him unconscious.
What Is Brain Death?
This tragedy has many people wondering what exactly determines is someone is brain dead. Essentially, brain death can occur when the blood and oxygen supply to the brain is stopped. This can be caused by:
• Heart attack. A serious medical emergency that occurs when the blood supply to the heart is suddenly blocked.
• Stroke. A serious medical emergency that occurs when the blood supply to the brain is interrupted.
• Blood clots. Blockages in one of your blood vessels that disturbs or blocks the flow of blood around your body.
Brain death can also occur as a result of:
• A serious head injury
• Infections, such as encephalitis (a viral infection of the brain)
a brain tumour (a growth of cells multiplying in an abnormal, uncontrollable way in the brain).
When Will a Doctor Declar Someone Brain Dead?
A diagnosis of brain stem death is considered when:
• A person fails to respond to any outside stimulation
• The person is unconscious
• The person’s heartbeat and breathing can only be maintained using a ventilator
• There is clear evidence that serious damage to the brain has occurred, and it cannot be cured