Black Forest Trifle
(BlackDoctor.org) — Who says you can’t have chocolate when you’re watching your sugar intake? Made with sugar-free chocolate-cake mix and instant pudding, this moist trifle will have your resident chocoholic licking her lips. Cool Whip trims the fat off traditional recipes and cherries add a boost of vitamin C and antioxidants, which are thought to reduce bad cholesterol.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook time: 8 hours
– 1 (8-ounce) package chocolate sugar-free, low-fat cake mix
– 3/4 cup water
– 1 (1-ounce) package chocolate sugar-free, fat-free instant pudding mix
– 2 cups fat-free milk
– 1 (16-ounce) package frozen no-sugar-added pitted cherries
– 2 or 3 drops of red food coloring
– 2 cups fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
– Sugar-free chocolate curls (optional)–
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using 3/4 cup water. Let cake cool in pan; remove from pan, and cut into cubes.
3. Prepare pudding mix according to package directions, using 2 cups fat-free milk; chill at least 30 minutes.
4. Thaw cherries, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Combine cherries, juice, and food coloring.