The 10 Best Office Snacks
(BlackDoctor.org) — When the mid-morning or afternoon lull sets in at the office, do you find yourself reaching for something unhealthy to munch on? Healthy snacks can help normalize your blood-sugar levels at crucial points in the day. Diminishing swings in blood sugar also helps to curb cravings and keep you on a successful weight-loss track.
The best munchies to have on hand?
1. Raw veggies, such as celery, green or red bell pepper strips, cauliflower, carrot sticks and/or broccoli florets. Use hummus, yogurt-and-herb dip, 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter for dipping.
2. Cold cuts (turkey, chicken, lean roast beef, boiled ham)
3. Part-skim mozzarella cheese sticks or a serving of reduced-fat cheese (pair this with some whole-grain crackers)
4. Nuts (15 almonds, 20 peanuts, or 30 pistachios), but be sure to stick to one serving.
5. Cottage cheese (reduced-fat or fat-free) with salsa or chopped cucumber added
6. Sunflower seeds (3-tablespoon serving; count these toward your daily nut/seed allowance)
7. Greek yogurt (reduced-fat or fat-free)
8. Tomato juice or vegetable-juice cocktail, single-serving cans
9. Dried apricot halves with almonds (7 apricot halves and 7 almonds), but be sure to count the almonds toward your daily nut/seed allowance
10. Trans-fat-free microwavable popcorn, individual pack (look for varieties that are made with canola oil)
Now go get your (healthy) snack on!