(BlackDoctor.org) — Dieticians and nutrition experts agree that one of the keys to healthy eating is to actually enjoy that nutritious food on your plate. The problem? Healthier dishes, such as salads, aren’t exactly the most exciting things in the world, right?
Sweet, refreshing and loaded with vitamins and nutrients, this unique salad is guaranteed to be a healthy hit with your family and friends!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 package (8.5 ounces) corn-muffin mix, prepared according to package directions
2 ears corn, shucked
4 ounces each fresh green beans and yellow wax beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 large tomato, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
3 scallions, including green tops, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Whisk vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in oil; let stand.
3. Cut corn bread into 1-inch cubes. Place cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake, stirring once, 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Let cool.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add corn and cook 5 minutes. Add beans and cook 3 minutes longer, or until beans are crisp-tender.
5. Remove corn and beans; rinse under cold running water. Cut corn off cobs.
6. Combine corn, beans, cheese, tomato, red pepper, scallions, basil, and dressing; toss to combine. Add corn bread and toss gently. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 311 calories, 16g protein, 34g carbohydrate, 15g fat (6g saturated), 5g fiber