Solange: “I Was Diagnosed…Twice”
Solange’s case is a lesson for all of us. Take control of your health. Be present in your health and not just take what is given to you. Here are some things we can learn.
1. Learn about the disorder—what it is and what it isn’t.
2. Try to get your significant other involved in learning with you.
3. Remember that getting a diagnosis of a condition like ADHD changes nothing. You only have a name for what was previously unnamed.
4. You will probably be relieved and sad after receiving your diagnosis. You may be relieved to know that something is the matter and that it is not your fault. You may be sad to know that something is the matter and no one ever realized it.
5. Recognize that getting the diagnosis is the first step to a better life. You have to know a problem before you can begin to address it and work with it.
6. Reexamine your past and realize that much of what happened was not your fault.
7. Begin to focus on what you can do to make your future better.
8. Remember that improvements will come slowly. Accept this and don’t be too hard on yourself.
For more information on symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment, visit the BlackDoctor.org ADHD channel.