The 15-Minute Shorts Workout
(BlackDoctor.org) — You don’t need fancy equipment to work your lower body. Just grab a yoga mat or towel to get into shorts-shape with this fast workout you can do at home.Tone your butt, thighs, and calves in just 15 minutes — and show some leg this summer.
What you’ll need: A yoga mat (or a bath towel and a chair)
Targets: Butt, Outer and Inner Thighs
• Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding one end of rolled-up mat (or chair back) in front of you with both hands.
• Bend knees slightly and hinge forward from hips, extending arms to plant vertical mat on floor a few feet in front of left foot so that back is parallel to floor.
• Keep both hands on top of mat for support and extend right leg out to side, toes pointed.
• Keeping abs engaged, back flat, and mat upright, exhale as you lift right leg out to side as high as possible. Hold for 3 seconds, then lower leg.
• Do 10 to 15 reps, holding the last leg lift for 10 seconds. Switch legs and repeat.
Standing Leg Curl
Targets: Hamstrings and Calves
• Stand with feet together and place rolled-up mat (or towel) evenly behind right knee so that it’s parallel to floor. Lift right foot behind you with toes pointed, and pull heel toward butt to secure mat behind knee.
• Extend arms at shoulder level in front of you and clasp hands. (Beginners, use chair for balance.)
• Squeezing mat with leg throughout, lean forward slightly, keeping back flat, as you lift right knee behind you about 6 inches; lower.
• Do 20 pulses up and down. Switch legs and repeat.
Heaven and Earth
Targets: Back, Abs, Butt, and Quads
• Stand with feet together, holding one end of rolled-up mat (or towel) in each hand, palms in, arms extended at shoulder level in front of you.
• Lower into a squat, then exhale slowly as you fold upper body over thighs, forming a ball: Tuck chin and bend elbows to pull mat to knees.
• Maintaining squat, uncurl upper body as you extend arms diagonally overhead.
• Return to tucked ball position. Do 15 reps
Open and Shut
Targets: Shoulders, Back, Abs, and Quads
• Stand with feet together, toes pointed out to sides, holding rolled-up mat (or towel) near ends in front of thighs with both hands.
• Extend right leg in front of you, toes on floor. Reach arms overhead, leaning back to form a diagonal line from right hand to right toes
• Bring mat to shoulder level while lifting right leg to hip level in front of you. Hold for one breath; lower leg and lift arms.
• Do 10 reps. Switch legs and repeat
Inverted Butterfly Leaps
Targets: Shoulders, Back, Arms, Abs, Inner Thighs, and Calves
• Stand with feet hip-width apart, straddling rolled-up mat (or towel).
• Bend over and place palms shoulder-width apart on floor so that body forms an inverted V.
• Bend knees slightly and lift heels off floor (onto tiptoes). Jump feet up about 12 inches and bring legs in, tapping feet together in midair (above mat), then landing back in an inverted V.
• Do 20 reps.