The Ultimate Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
The crunchy coating is what seals in the juices, giving this Southern standard its finger-licking flavor. Too bad it also absorbs so much fat.
But, by stripping the bird of its skin, baking instead of frying, and ditching the batter for panko crumbs, our crispy cheat carves off 240 calories and 22 grams of fat per serving.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min
• 1 1/2 cup(s) buttermilk
• 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground red pepper (cayenne)
• 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
• 1 (3-pound) cut-up chicken, skin removed from all pieces except wings
• 1 1/2 cup(s) panko (Japanese-style) bread crumbs
• 1 teaspoon(s) grated fresh lemon peel
1 teaspoon cayenne
1. In large self-sealing plastic bag, place buttermilk, ground red pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; add chicken pieces, turning to coat. Seal bag, pressing out excess air. Refrigerate chicken at least 1 hour or preferably overnight, turning bag over once.