The Ultimate Fried Chicken Recipe (With A Twist)
The crunchy coating is what seals in the juices, giving this Southern standard its finger-licking flavor. Too bad it also absorbs so much fat.
But, by stripping the bird of its skin, baking instead of frying, and ditching the batter for panko crumbs, our crispy cheat carves off 240 calories and 22 grams of fat per serving.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min
• 1 1/2 cup(s) buttermilk
• 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground red pepper (cayenne)
• 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
• 1 (3-pound) cut-up chicken, skin removed from all pieces except wings
• 1 1/2 cup(s) panko (Japanese-style) bread crumbs
• 1 teaspoon(s) grated fresh lemon peel
1 teaspoon cayenne
1. In large self-sealing plastic bag, place buttermilk, ground red pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; add chicken pieces, turning to coat. Seal bag, pressing out excess air. Refrigerate chicken at least 1 hour or preferably overnight, turning bag over once.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 15 1/2″ by 10 1/2″ jelly-roll pan with nonstick spray. In large bowl, combine panko and lemon peel.
3. Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess. Discard marinade. Add chicken pieces, a few at a time, to panko mixture, turning to coat. Place chicken in prepared pan.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until coating is crisp and juices run clear when thickest part of chicken is pierced with tip of knife. For browner coating, after chicken is cooked, turn oven to broil. Broil chicken 5 to 6 inches from source of heat 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.
When done, squeeze lime juice over chicken pieces and lightly dust with cayenne pepper for added kick.
(Per serving): Calories 305, Total Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 101m, Sodium 370mg, Total Carbohydrate 16g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 0, Protein 36g