7 Stretches To Do Before Bed
Having trouble falling asleep? According to experts, most of us are! But don’t just stare at the ceiling or start watching TV (or obsess over those bills). Instead, do these stretches right before bed to fall asleep faster and sleep better.
Remember: With each pose, breathe in and out through your nose for a calming effect on the nervous system.
What you’ll need: A pillow
Targets: Neck, shoulders, back, hips, and legs
1. Sit on floor with pillow in front of you.
2. Bend left knee, bringing sole of left foot to right inner thigh.
3. Lift butt and extend right leg behind you.
4. Staying centered, gently hinge forward from hips, placing head on pillow.
5. Extend arms forward, elbows slightly bent.
6. Hold for 8 to 10 breaths. Roll back up. Switch legs; repeat.
Targets: Hips and legs
1. Lie faceup with knees bent, feet flat on floor, arms extended by sides, palms up.
2. Keeping shoulders down, engage abs and press into heels to lift hips and back to form a diagonal line from shoulders to knees.
3. Hold for 8 to 10 breaths; lower.
Targets: Neck, shoulders, back, and obliques
1. Sit on pillow in a cross-legged position.
2. Place left hand on floor to side of hip, left elbow slightly bent.
3. Extend right arm by ear.
4. Lean to left, keeping butt on floor, shoulders down.
5. Hold for 8 to 10 breaths. Switch sides; repeat.