Light, Easy Diabetic-Friendly Recipes For Summer
While thick, creamy and hearty soups and stews are perfect for the fall and winter months, they’re not so great when the hot weather rolls around. It can be difficult to decide what to prepare for dinner during summer, but here are some lighter, healthier versions of some of your favorite dishes. Plus, we even threw in a couple desserts so you could have something delicious to look forward to after dinner besides a sugar-free Popsicle.
Budget-friendly Salmon Burgers
- Cooking spray
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 pound skinless salmon, cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 6 iceberg or bibb lettuce leaves
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and Thai curry paste in a large food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the salmon and puree until smooth. Add the egg and cilantro and puree until incorporated.
- Scoop the mixture in ½ cup portions onto the baking sheet and press lightly to form a patty. Repeat to make 6 patties.
- Spray the top of each patty with cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve each salmon burger in a lettuce leaf and top each with 1 tablespoon sliced scallions.
Source: [American Diabetes Association]
LIKE BlackDoctor.org on Facebook! Get Your Daily Medicine…For LIFE!
[ione_facebook_like_box url_segment=blackdoctor.org height=”260″]
Butternut Squash Cajun Fries
Makes 4 servings
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and cut into thick French fries
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Blot any moisture from the butternut squash fries with paper towels, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper and Cajun seasoning.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned and tender, 15 to 20 minutes, turning once.