It Just Looks Like We’re Not Hurting: 20 Signs Of Depression
Depression affects everyone differently. Not all people experience the same symptoms, but there are some telltale signs that are very common. If you recognize that you, or someone close to you, have been experiencing some of these symptoms, don’t ignore them. Give voice to your feelings and speak up. No one should, or has to feel this way. Below are some examples of feelings/situations that are often associated with depression:
1. You are always too busy and never have, or take, the time to give yourself the care you need.
2. You feel as though you are running from something; something is eating at you.
3. You keep things that bother you locked up inside, festering and are afraid to speak about disappointment, hurts, fears; you are afraid or express anger. You hold on to grudges for way too long.
4. You can’t ask people for what you need.
5. You find yourself being secretive about your feelings.
6. Your appetite changes. You can’t wait to get home to eat-something, anything and lots of it because it’s the only thing that soothes you. Or you’ve lost your appetite and nothing tastes good to you anymore.
7. You just don’t have energy to do anything and you have to force yourself to do everything.
8. Everything is so hard that you’re sleeping a lot. It’s difficult to get up. You are afraid to get up.
9. You can’t seem to concentrate—on any one thing. You look at the same piece of paper over and over.
10. You are steadily gaining weight. Self esteem starts to plummet.