Cuba Gooding Jr, 48, was born in the Bronx, New York, but the family moved to LA after his father had a hit, Everybody Plays The Fool, with soul group the Main Ingredient. After high school, he landed a part in TV show Hill Street Blues; at 23, he won critical acclaim in the film Boyz N The Hood, followed by one of his best known roles as a high-energy football player in Jerry McGuire. Off-camera, many do not know that the beloved actor and father of three has a new role of advocate and activist: to raise awareness about kidney disease.
“Kidney disease is the ninth leading cause of death in the United States, but is one of the most underfunded in research. FSGS (Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis) and Nephrotic Syndrome are some of the most devastating kidney diseases affecting children and adults. NephCure is the only organization in the world focused on raising money for research to get better treatments and a cure for these diseases. When I learned about these conditions I knew I had to do something. I’m proud to partner with NephCure to help them raise awareness,” Mr. Gooding said.
Kidney Disease Statistics
- Chronic kidney disease plagues more than 26 million Americans
- Nephrotic Syndrome is the leading cause of kidney failure in children
- Every day 12 people die waiting for a kidney transplant
- There is no cure for these conditions, and currently no standard of care.
- Treatments can include high-dose steroids and chemotherapy-type medicines.
- Even with these treatments, many patients progress to kidney failure within 5 years.
- African Americans are at a higher risk for kidney disease and are FIVE TIMES more likely to get FSGS than other populations.
“Numbers are important to underscore the urgency, but this is about more than numbers – it’s about people battling to keep themselves, their spouses, their children alive. We need better treatments now for patients who are suffering every day,” Mr. Gooding said. “The government gives very little money to kidney disease research, and we need to change how research is funded. That’s why we need to support organizations like NephCure who lead the way as a catalyst for accelerating kidney disease research.”
Cuba takes his own health just as serious too. Since his award-winning role in Jerry McGuire, Cuba takes his same approach to getting and staying fit. His training diet is basically a…