Dirty Dozen: The 12 Skin Sins
Problem skin? I’ve battled it all: dryness, clogged pores, uneven skin tone, that beloved pregnancy acne no one tells you about – you name it! In an effort to get back that Instagram glow, it’s safe to say I’ve tried my hand at it all: peels, homemade acne masks, breaking the bank at the dermatologist, non comedogenic makeup, the list goes on. Only, the issues I faced seemed to worsen.
And so, I ditched the dermatologist (not for everyone) and took a more traditional approach. By focusing more on how my diet, exercise, habits and sleep patterns affected my epidermis, I was able to get a better handle on my skin woes. Because Lord knows, ain’t nobody got time for that!
So, without further ado, here are 12 skins sins (you’re probably making now) to avoid on your journey to healthy, gorgeous skin.
1. No matter your skin tone, skipping sunscreen is a fast track to wrinkles. Not to mention, skin cancer is real ya’ll. Although many people of color are less susceptible to UV damage thanks to the greater amounts of melanin (the protective pigment that gives skin it’s color) our skin produces – certain skin cancers are caused by factors other than UV, like genetics.
2. Smoking is not only detrimental to your health, it leaves you with deep wrinkles and uneven skin tone.
3. Turning up! Excessive drinking increases the level of inflammatory agents in the bloodstream, leading to saggy skin.
4. Unless you’re rocking turtlenecks year-round, your skin does not stop at your chin. Your neck and chest need the same care as your face.
5. I’ve got nothing against a good beat. But neglecting to clean your makeup brushes is a sure fire way to get clogged pores, bacterial infections, and muddied colors.