11 Ways To Get Out Of Your Life Rut
There are times in life when you feel like a hamster running on a wheel. You exert a lot of energy running, yet you find yourself in the same place. The idea of taking on another day is daunting because your efforts are getting you nowhere. We have all been there, asking ourselves “what is the point?” or “how did it come to this?” It’s not always easy getting out of a rut, but I would like to offer you 11 tips that have worked for me. Enjoy!
1. Self-reflect. When you find yourself in a rut, ask yourself these specific questions:
- Am I in the right place?
- Am I doing the right thing?
- Does this make me happy?
- Why am I doing this?
- What excites me?
- Do my circumstances need to change, or do I need to change?
Be honest with yourself and invest the time to uncover the real answers to these questions. Take ownership and make the necessary changes in your life so that you can stop running in circles.
2. Take action. Instead of waiting for the stars to perfectly align before you make a move, just do something. Stop putting things off. Start putting together the puzzle with the pieces that you have today. There will never be a perfect moment to take action. You don’t have to figure it all out right now, but commit to doing something today.
3. Change your attitude. Learn to differentiate first world problems from other types of problems. Practice gratitude and increase your perspective to include global issues. When you wake up, think about all of the great things in your life and everything for which you are thankful. Reflect upon the things that you take for granted every day, but that you really wouldn’t want to live without.
4. Celebrate everything. In an ideal world, everyone would recognize your greatness, and you would be promoted because it was deserved, and acknowledged every time you did something great. Unfortunately, ruts are far from ideal. Don’t wait for people to applaud you; start patting yourself on the back. Celebrate everything! If you made it to your 6 a.m. workout, give yourself a hand clap. If you crossed off everything on your to-do list for the day, treat yourself to a dance party.