Best Shampoos For African American Natural Black Hair
It’s a well-known fact that shampoo tends to be harsh on African American tresses. The general problem that seems to plague black hair is it tends to dry easily and the lack of moisture can cause hair to be quite unmanageable; and severe dryness can cause breakage due to lack of elasticity, leading to hair damage. So, what are the best shampoos and cleansers for cleaning buildup off of the hair and scalp, without stripping it?
READ: 7 Shampoo Secrets
Let’s take a look.
How do you choose a moisturizing shampoo?
The main characteristics to look out for when purchasing moisturizing shampoo are as followed:
- Alcohol-Free Shampoo — First and foremost the moisturizing shampoo has to be gentle. Safeguard your hair against losing more of its natural oil. You must therefore avoid shampoos with alcohol or its derivatives.
- pH-Balanced Shampoo — The natural pH of your hair is about 5. To keep the outer cuticle closed and maintain the shine of your hair, you have to ensure that your hair’s pH is kept at a normal level. Look for moisturizing shampoo with a pH from 4.5 – 5.5. It should take your hair back to a stable balance. Also if the label says it has anti-static ingredients (such as trimethyl alkonium chloride or ammonium chloride) to prevent or eliminate fly away hair, it is what you are looking for. Be aware that the ideal moisturizing shampoos also contain the buffering agent sodium citrate, which is a compound that releases more acidifying ions when acidity is low and absorbs acid when acidity is too high.
- Shampoo with Natural Moisturizing Oil — Use oil-based moisturizing shampoo to seal in water. This keeps your hair moisturized longer. Go for moisturizing shampoos that contains natural oils like jojoba, avocado, grape seed, tea tree oil, olive oil, coconut oil and emu oil. Don’t confuse natural oil with mineral oil. You should never use mineral oil-based shampoo as it causes residue build up and increase dryness and brittleness. For products for dry black hair, look for emu oil or jojoba oil as primary active ingredients..
- Creamy Hydrating Shampoo — Clear, gel based shampoos contain a large quantity of detergent and tend to dry out your hair. Be sure you opt for the creamier type of moisturizing shampoos.
Top 10 Moisturizing Shampoos For Black Hair
So you’ve familiarized yourself with what to look out for when buying shampoo, but are you just looking for specific recommendations? Here’s what My Black Hair Salon Magazine recommends as the best moisturizing shampoos to buy:
1. Hydratherma Naturals Moisture Boosting Shampoo
Moisture Boosting Shampoo Description and Benefits:
This stimulating shampoo contains multiple natural extracts including Seaweed, Algae & Sea Kelp with a hint of essential oils that will get your hair healthy and keep it there. Delivers omega 3 and omega 6 essential acids to each hair strand which helps return the hair to its optimal 8% moisture level. Detangles, softens and hydrates the hair as it cleanses the hair and scalp. Infuses the hair with moisture without product build-up.
Size: 8 fl. oz.
Where to Buy: Hydratherma Naturals
Get The LATEST Articles Straight To Your Inbox![sailthru_widget fields=”email” sailthru_list=”Black Doctor Subscribers”]
2. Karen’s Body Beautiful Ultimate Conditioning Shampoo
Designed for dry, color or chemically treated hair, Karen’s Ultimate Conditioning Shampoo cleans and moisturizes your tresses without stripping them. Perfect for dry, thirsty hair.
Size: 200 ml.
Where to Buy: Karen’s Body Beautiful