Hearty White Chili
(BlackDoctor.org) — This hearty soup is so much more than your traditional chili! This tasty dish is made with a pork shoulder, white beans, chopped onion, fresh mango, and seasonings – a unique blend of flavors that make it unforgettable. (the pork can be substituted for another meat, such as chicken, if desired). Serve it in a bowl and top with sliced mango. Some warm corn bread on the side is the perfect addition to this meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 80 minutes
– 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
– 3 lb. pork shoulder roast, fat trimmed, cut into 1- to 1-1/2-inch cubes (about 1-1/2 lb. after trimming)
– 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 3 19-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
– 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
– 1/3 cup lime juice
– 1 tsp. ground chipotle chili pepper
– 1/2 to 1 tsp. ground white pepper
– 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
– 2 mangoes–
1. In 4-quart Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Brown half the pork at a time; remove and set aside.
2. Add onions and garlic; cook until onions are tender.
3. Return pork to Dutch oven; add beans, broth, lime juice, chili pepper, white pepper, and nutmeg.
4. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 1 hour or until pork is tender.