Barack’s Bites: President Obama’s Favorite Recipes
It takes a lot of fuel to keep up with the former President Obama’s day-to-day schedule. Spending long days and nights fighting Congress, keeping world peace, responding to his naysayers, signing bills into law–all the while loving his family, that’s enough to make anybody feel like they’re running on empty. But that’s where his favorite foods come in. Mixing them in here and there to keep him healthy and happy.
Here are some of the 44th President’s favorite recipes that still keep him at the top of his game.
Take for example, one of his favorite snacks: chips and guacamole. In his tweet, Obama said “Respect the [New York Times], but not buying peas in guacamole. Just avocados, onions, garlic, and hot peppers. Classic.
As for dessert at the Obama residence, Mama Kaye’s white & dark chocolate chip cookies are a household favorite.
Before Obama was re-elected in 2012, Michelle Obama won a different kind of race, for best cookie. While the the presidential cookie bake-off seems like an outdated tradition, it did at least give the world access to the first lady’s stellar chocolate chip cookie recipe.
The recipe comes from Malia and Sasha Obama’s godmother and is just the right amount of super-sweet, thanks to a combo of white, dark, and mint chocolate chips.
You can’t really go wrong on taste when your ingredients include butter, flour, sugar, and chocolate.
But, it’s a pretty well known fact that one of President Obama’s favorite foods to both cook and eat is chili. Wondering what the secret ingredients are?
Chock full of vegetables, ground turkey, garlic and savory spices, this chili is a savory bowl of healthy, spicy goodness!
“I’ve been using this chili recipe since college and would bring it to any potluck. I can’t reveal all the secrets, but if you make it right, it’s just got the right amount of bite, the right amount of oomph in it, and it will clear your sinuses.”
~ President Barack Obama
Prep Time:1 Minutes
Cook time:1 Minutes
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 1/4 tsp ground basil
– 1 green pepper, chopped
– 1 tbsp chilli powder
– 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 can red kidney beans
– 1 pound ground turkey or beef
– 1/4 tsp ground cumin
– 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
– 1/4 tsp ground oregano
– Several tomatoes, depending on size, chopped
– Several cloves of garlic, chopped
– Shredded cheddar cheese (for garnish)
– Sour cream (for garnish)–
1. Saute onions, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add ground meat and brown.
2. Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat.
3. Add red-wine vinegar. Add tomatoes and let simmer until the tomatoes cook down. Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.
4. Serve over brown rice, if preferred. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions, and sour cream. Enjoy!