Homemade muffins provide a smarter portion size than commercial options, but low-fat versions often yield dry and tasteless results. But not in this recipe! Healthier fats keep these muffins moist, light and just as delicious, with fruit and nuts.
The result? Less calories, less sugar, more fiber…and 100% great taste!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 8 Muffins
– 1½ c all-purpose flour
– 1/2 c brown sugar
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1 c mashed ripe banana (2-3 bananas)
– 1 lg egg
– 1/4 c 50/50 butter blend spread (we used Smart Balance), melted
– 1/4 c 1% buttermilk
– 3 tbsp canola oil
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/3 c + 2 tbsp chopped walnuts, divided–
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Coat 8 cups of a standard-size muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
3. Mix banana, egg, spread, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract in large bowl until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture and stir until blended. Add 1/3 cup of the walnuts and mix thoroughly.