Recipe Makeover: 7 Tips For Healthier Dressing
4. Choose a recipe that is heavy on the vegetables, such as celery, onions and apples.
5. Use fresh, individual spices such as sage, thyme, pepper and light salt, opposed to prepackaged mixes, which are typically high in sodium. Begin with a very minimal amount of salt–no more than two teaspoons–and then add more salt to taste after the dressing is baked.
6. Before adding them to the dressing, saute your vegetables until warm but still crisp. Add low-fat turkey broth to the mixture and bring a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high, and cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Cut your prepared dressing into half-cup portions prior to serving as a way of encouraging portion control.
Here’s a recipe below that serves about 10-14 people:
- 1 ¾ cup plain white cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4th teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1 ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 ¼ teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- ¼ teaspoon light salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups low sodium wheat crackers (crushed)
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cooking spray
1. Combine cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl; stir well.
2. Combine milk, canola oil and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
3. Spoon batter into an 8-inch square baking pan or an 8 inch cast iron skillet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Remove cornbread from pan, and cool on wire rack. Crumble cornbread; set aside.
5. Pour oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and water. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 15 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in poultry seasoning, sage, salt, and pepper.
6. Combine crumbled cornbread, onion mixture, crushed crackers, broth, egg, parsley, garlic powder and onion powder in a bowl, and stir well. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees for 35 minutes.