Recipe Remix: Southern Shrimp & Grits
This recipe boasts less than 3-times the amount of butter normally used in shrimp and grits as well as cuts out the heavy whipping cream. The tartness of the lemon juice add to the salt flavor thus cutting down the use of salt.
From the kitchen of Chef judsontoddallen.com!
Prep Time: 1 Minutes
Cook time: 1 Minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
– 1 cup stone-ground grits
– 4 cups of chicken stock
– Salt and pepper
– 1 teaspoon butter
– 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
– 1/3 cup of cream cheese
– 1/4 cup of white wine
– 1/4 cup of seafood stock
– 1 pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined, left whole if small and roughly chopped if medium or large
– 1/2 lb andouille sausage, chopped into tiny pieces
– 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
– 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
– 1 large garlic clove, minced–
1. To make the grits, bring 4 cups chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Add the grits and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well with a whisk continuously. Lower the heat setting and cook the grits until all the water is absorbed, about 10 -15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and cheeses. Keep covered until ready to serve. Grits should creamy.
3. Clean the shrimp and pat dry.