Healthy Fried Rice
(BlackDoctor.org) — Traditional fried rice is actually precooked rice that is refrigerated overnight and stir-fried the following day. This rice dish is extremely flexible rice dish – it can be prepared with precooked rice for a fast side dish, or you can add your choice of shrimp, chicken, tofu, egg, and/or a variety of vegetables to create a surprisingly healthy main dish.
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook time:15 minutes
Servings:6 side dish servings/4 main dish servings
– 2 eggs, beaten
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil or canola oil
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon cooking oil
– 1 stalks celery, thinly bias-sliced (1/2 cup)
– 3/4 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
– 1 8.8-ounce pouch cooked brown rice
– 1 medium carrot, shredded
– 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
– 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
– 2 green onions, sliced (about 1/4 cup)–
1. In a small bowl combine eggs and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Set aside.
2. Pour 1 teaspoon sesame oil into a wok or large skillet. Preheat over medium heat. Add garlic and egg mixture and stir gently to scramble. When set, remove egg mixture from the wok. Cut up any large pieces of egg mixture. Remove wok from heat.
3. Pour 1 tablespoon cooking oil into the wok or skillet. (Add more oil as necessary during cooking.) Return to medium-high heat. Stir-fry celery in hot oil for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
4. Add cooked rice, carrot, and peas. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Cook and stir for 4 to 6 minutes or until heated through. Add cooked egg mixture and green onions; cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through.