Collard Green Gumbo
For a new take on an old favorite, we turned to old friend Chef Darius (twitter: @DariusCooks). Step into the kitchen and be transported to a spice-filled heaven with this all vegetarian collard green gumbo.
LIKE BlackDoctor.org on Facebook! Get Your Daily Medicine…For LIFE!
[ione_facebook_like_box url_segment=blackdoctor.org height=”260″]
– 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
– 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
– 1/2 stick of butter
– 1 large onion chopped
– 8 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 green pepper, chopped
– 3 celery stalks, chopped
– 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
– 1/4 cup of parsley, chopped
– 4 cups of hot water
– 1/2 a bottle of beer (I used a Corona)
– 5 vegetable bouillon cubes
– 4 cups of chopped collard greens
– chives to garnish
– Salt & pepper
– 2 tablespoons of white sugar
– 1 tablespoon of granulated garlic
– 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
– 1 teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning–
1. Saute the onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic in a bit of oil with salt and pepper until slightly softened.
2. Meanwhile, melt oil and butter together and sprinkle in flour. Cook over medium heat until dark brown. Stir frequently so nothing sticks or burns.