2. Spicy Vegetarian Soup
- 14 ounces butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 10 ½ ounces Puy lentils
- 1 ½ liter vegetable stock
- 2 ½ bulgar wheat
- 7 ounces baby spinach, chopped
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 tablespoons natural yogurt
- Heat the oven to 220C.
- Put the squash in a roasting tin, drizzle with the olive oil, season, and toss with the cumin. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Scoop half the squash from the tin and put it in a pan.
- Add the lentils and 1 liter of the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes, adding the bulgar wheat for the final 10 minutes.
- With a wooden spoon, mash some squash pieces in the soup.
- Stir the spinach, lemon zest and juice, and remaining stock and squash into the soup and heat through. Serve with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of toasted cumin seeds.
3. Meaty Chili Con Carne
- 1 large onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- olive oil
- 17 ½ ounces minced beef
- 3 teaspoons chipotle powder or paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 ½ tablespoon 70% dark chocolate
- 4 semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- vegetable stock cube
- 28 ounces kidney beans
- red pepper cut into chunks (optional)
- Heat the oven. Fry the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil in a heavy-based casserole. Turn up the heat and add the mince. Fry until evenly browned.
- Add the chipotle, spices, and dried oregano, then cook for 1 minute until the meat is well coated.
- Add the purée, chopped tomatoes, wine, chocolate, semi-dried tomatoes, stock cube, and kidney beans.
- Put in the oven with a lid on for at least 1 hour 30 minutes. Add the peppers for the last 30 minutes – add water if needed.
- Serve with quinoa, iceberg lettuce, avocado salsa, fresh coriander, and a dash of Tabasco.