Thanksgiving Vegetarian Recipes Everyone Will Eat
Roasted Squash with Shallots, Grapes and Sage
- 2 acorn squashes (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound mixed black and red grapes (about 3 cups)
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons packed small fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/3 cups cooked spelt, wheat berries, barley or other whole grain
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squashes in half on their long side.
- Scoop out seeds and save for later.
- Brush cut sides of squash halves with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine grapes, shallot and sage in a bowl and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place around squash.
- Roast, stirring grape mixture once, until squash is tender and grape mixture is caramelized (35 to 40 minutes).
- Fill squash with grain and grape mixture.
Visit the BlackDoctor.org Healthy Recipes center for more recipes.