Skinny French Onion Soup
I love soup. Especially on cold winter nights. Healthy soup? Well, that’s even better. You know what makes this recipe that much better? I used whole grain pita instead of regular baguettes and if you use lowfat mozzarella cheese for melting on top – you’ll never know the difference. Plus, mozzarella is a really great stringy cheese that melts wonderfully. Did I mention the WHOLE serving is only 123 calories per serving?
Sign Up for the Black Doctor Newsletter![sailthru_widget fields=”email” sailthru_list=”Black Doctor Subscribers”]
– 5 cups of sliced onions, any mix of variety
– 2 cloves of minced garlic
– 4 tablespoons of olive oil
– 8 cups of vegetable stock
– 1 cup of good red wine
– 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– Red pepper flakes, to taste
– Whole grain pita bread, cut out to fit the size of the bowl
– 4 large slices of low fat mozzarella cheese–
- Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil on low heat until they’re caramelized.