The 3 Ultimate ‘Grown Up’ Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese sandwich? I don’t know about you, but the thought of ooey gooey cheese that filled my mouth as a kid from a good grilled cheese makes me warm and fuzzy on the inside. I may just be hungry though! Anywho, here are some ways to make your grilled cheese not so childish.
Blue Cheese and Smashed Avocado with Roasted Tomato Grilled Cheese
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (cut in halves)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 avocado, lightly mashed
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 4-6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 4 slices seedy bread
- softened butter, for spreading
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grease a baking sheet and add the halved tomatoes.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Turn the oven to broil.
- Lightly mash the avocado with the salt and pepper.
- Spread one side of each bread slice with softened butter.
- Take the unbuttered sides and evenly spread the mashed avocado among the insides of all 4 slices of bread.
- Add the blue cheese right on top of the mashed avocado.
- Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet and broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Cook until the blue cheese begins to melt.
- Remove from the oven and heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Divide the arugula in two and place right on top of the melted blue cheese. Add a handful of the roasted tomatoes. Place the other half of the bread on top to make a sandwich. Place both sandwiches in the skillet
- Cook until cheese is melted and both sides are golden brown
- Serve immediately.