Ginger Beer-Battered Vegetable Tempura
Tempura can be a great snack, a healthy side dish or even a full meal. Here’s how to make an all-veggie tempura that will knock your socks off and keep your taste buds happy.
Prep Time:1 Minutes
Cook time:1 Minutes
– 3/4 cup ginger beer
– 3/4 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
– 3/4 teaspoon salt
– 6 large shrimp, shelled and, if desired, deveined
– 1 small sweet potato
– vegetable oil for deep-drying
– 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings
– 6 asparagus spears, trimmed–
1. Pour the flour into a mixing bowl and pour in the ginger ale or ginger beer while gently whisking. Don’t overwhisk the batter: a few small lumps will merely make it seem more authentic and crunchy.
2. Pour the oil into a large, heavy-bottomed casserole pot and heat to 325°F. Test the oil with a little batter. If it sizzles, you’re good to go.
3. Dip the vegetables into the batter one stem at a time, turning to make sure each is well coated. Allow any excess batter to drip off before carefully placing the vegetables into the hot oil. Allow to sizzle for a few seconds before gently stirring the oil to make sure the veggies do not stick together.