Smoked Chicken Pot Pie With Sweet Potato Crust
When the weather turns cold, there are few dishes that can warm your body as well as your soul like comfort food can. Here’s an incredible recipe that combines the savory taste of a pot pie, with the sweetness of sweet potato.
– 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1 medium Spanish onion, finely diced
– 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
– 4 tablespoons flour
– 4-5 cups whole milk, heated
– ¾ pound cremini mushrooms, quartered and sauteed until golden brown
– 2 turnips, peeled, cut into medium dice, blanched and drained
– 2 carrots, peeled, cut into matchsticks (about 2-inches long by ¼-inch thick), blanched and drained
– ½ cup each red and white frozen pearl onions, blanched and drained
– 1 cup frozen peas, blanched and drained
– 1 chicken (about 3 lbs) roasted, smoked and shredded , optional or add 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo or 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika to the base sauce
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley–
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the flour and cook until deep golden brown. Slowly whisk in the hot milk and cook until thickened. Reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. If the mixture is too thick, thin with a little extra milk.
2. Add the mushrooms, turnips, carrots, onions, peas and chicken to the sauce and gently fold to combine. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley.
Sweet Potato Crust
1 pound AP flour
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled