Recipe Remix: Healthy Red Velvet Cake
**DISCLAIMER**: This is not your grandmother’s red velvet cake recipe–but it’s just as good and even BETTER for you (yes, we said it!). This recipe has half the fat, half the cholesterol and double the flavor. Get ready…Mmmmm!
Prep Time:1 Minutes
Cook time:1 Minutes
– Cooking spray
– 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 3/4 cup sugar and sucralose blend for baking (such as SPLENDA® Sugar Blend)
– 1 tablespoon sugar and sucralose blend for baking (such as SPLENDA® Sugar Blend)
– 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
– 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 fluid ounce red food coloring
– 1 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
– 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1 tablespoon white vinegar
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 3/4 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
– 3/4 cup fat-free cottage cheese
– 2 (8 ounce) packages fat-free cream cheese at room temperature, cubed
– 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon skim milk, or as needed (optional)–
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray 2 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray. Whisk together…
… the whole wheat flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Beat together the applesauce, 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of sugar and sucralose baking blend, and egg substitute with an electric mixer on Medium speed in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, stir the cocoa powder and red food coloring together until smooth, and mix into the liquid ingredients. Gradually beat in the whole wheat flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk in several additions, and mix in 1 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract. In a small bowl, stir the vinegar and baking soda together, and mix into the batter. Pour batter into the cake pans, and tap the filled pans on the counter to remove air bubbles.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until the cakes are set and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting.