Tomato & Shrimp With Rice
Perhaps I could have chosen a better title for this dish. But, in the spirit of things being, well, simple and easy – tomato and shrimp rice works perfectly. I think it works great because this is LEFTOVER rice that I had in the fridge. I hate to let things to to waste, so I had to figure out how to use it. I re-purposed the hell out of this dish. I hope you enjoy!
– 4 cups of cooked white rice (leftover rice works great)
– 1 cup of frozen green peas
– 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
– 4 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 1 teaspoon of pepper
– 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
– 1 teaspoon of dried Italian herbs
– 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
– 4 anchovy fillets, minced
– 2 tablespoons of fresh herbs – I used parley and chives
– 1 pound of shrimp – cleaned & deveined–
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lay the tomato slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkle them with a pinch of salt and pepper and a drizzle (1 tablespoon) of good olive oil. Roast them in the oven for about 20 minutes. Then remove them and set aside.
3. In an oven proof skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and saute the anchovies for just a few seconds until they become fragrant. Then season the oil with the tomato paste, salt, pepper, dried Italian herbs, and garlic powder. Allow this seasoning mixture to cook for about 60 seconds.