Recipe Remix: Southern Style Biscuits & Gravy
The creaminess of a savory gravy over fluffy buttermilk biscuits…there is nothing like it. But most of the time it’s loaded down with calories and carbs. So, here’s a healthier recipe for you (and it’s only 220 calories):
– ¼ cup Cashews (Raw is best, but roasted works well, too.)
– 2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
– ½ teaspoon Bouillon or Concentrated Broth
– 1 pound lean turkey or chicken sausage
– ½ teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
– ½ cup White Beans (like navy, great northern, etc.)
– 2T Whole White Wheat Flour
– 1T Olive Oil
– Red pepper, optional, at the table–
Soak the cashews in 1 cup milk for 15 minutes. You can also soak them overnight and leave them in a refrigerator.
Pour the cashews and 1 cup of milk into a blender and run on high speed until the cashews are blended.
Add beans and seasonings to the blender. Blend until creamy.