Walk It Out: Managing Blood Sugar Levels By Walking
Blood sugar levels play a major role in managing type-2 diabetes and exercise is one of the most important ways to maintain healthy glucose levels.
Tami Ross, RD, LD, a spokeswoman for the American Association of Diabetes Educators, says a 20 to 30-minute walk can bring about lower blood sugar levels for 24 hours.
Some advantages of walking include:
- Improved blood sugar control (click to see how)
- Lower blood pressure
- Improved cholesterol
- Fewer complications from diabetes, such as heart disease and stroke
- Weight loss and weight maintenance
- Improved circulation and movement
- Less stress and an overall feeling of well-being
If you’re thinking about exercising, it’s best to limit your activity to 30 minutes about five days a week when living with diabetes. That amount of time can provide about 24 hours of benefits.