Officials Release Prince’s Cause Of Death: Opioid Overdose
The singer Prince died of an opioid overdose, a US law enforcement official has told the Associated Press news agency on May 2, 2016.
The official, who is close to the investigation, said this was established by tests after the singer’s death on 21 April.
Opioids are prescribed to treat acute pain. With prolonged use, pain-relieving effects lessen and pain can become worse. In addition, the body can develop dependence. Opioid dependence causes withdrawal symptoms, which makes it difficult to stop taking them. Addiction occurs when dependence interferes with daily life.
A report from Minneapolis Star Tribune cited sources, detailed how those around Prince tried to get him help, but ultimately, those efforts failed. For example, Prince’s staff reached out to a physician to help treat him for an addiction to prescription pain mediation, the newspaper reported.