Recipe Remix: Coconut Curry Thai Chicken
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook time:35 minutes
– 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size cubes
– 6 teaspoons curry powder, divided
– 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
– 2 tablespoons coconut oil or canola oil, divided
– 1 large yellow onion, chopped
– 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
– 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
– 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
– 4 cups 1-inch chunks Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 medium)
– 1 cup sliced carrots
– 1/2 cup chopped celery
– 3/4 cup frozen peas
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
– 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar–
Place chicken in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon curry powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring once or twice, until mostly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pot and add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is starting to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in the remaining 5 teaspoons curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add coconut milk, broth, potatoes, carrots, celery and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and carrots are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Return the chicken to the pot and add peas. Increase heat to high and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro and brown sugar.
346, (12 grams fat)