Most people don’t think about their livers until something goes wrong. However, since the organ holds about 13 percent of the body’s blood supply at any given time and regulates most of the chemicals in the blood, you should definitely pay attention to your liver. The good news is that you can keep your liver healthy with a few easy recipes.
5 Liver-Healthy Recipes
1. Super Green Smoothie
2 cups banana
2 cups orange juice
1 ½ cups dinosaur or curly leaf kale
¼ cup parsley
¼ cup fresh cilantro
¼ cup mint leaves
- Blend all ingredients together for 10 to 20 seconds or until the greens completely blend in.
- You may need to add more or less of the liquid to get it blended well.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
2. Avocado Salad
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more to taste)
1 ripe avocado
1 bulb fennel (trimmed and thinly sliced)
¼ small red onion
Freshly ground black pepper, optional
- In a medium to large bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, and salt. Set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit and cut the avocado into slices or cubes without cutting the peel.
- Push the peel over the bowl and toss to coat the avocado with dressing.
- Trim off the root end and the green stalks of the fennel.
- Cut the bulb in half lengthwise and lay the halves cut-side-down.
- Slice crosswise as thinly as possible.
- Add the fennel to the bowl.
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion. Rinse the slices in cold water then pat them dry.
- Add them to the bowl.
- Toss to coat the vegetables evenly with the dressing. Add black pepper and more salt to taste.
- If you reserved some fennel fronds, use them as a garnish.
- Serve the salad immediately, or cover and chill for a few hours.
3. Watermelon Salsa
4 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
1 cup red onion, small dice
⅔ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
½ cup fresh mint, chopped
2 jalapenos, finely diced
Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Toss together all the prepared ingredients.
- Serve immediately or chill.