each use, or use your own footbath.
If the salon does not appear clean, move on.
When to see a doctor
Symptoms of nail fungus include a nail or nails that are:
- Brittle, crumbly or ragged
- Separated from the nail bed
If your condition is mild and not bothering you, you may not need treatment. Nail fungus that is painful and causes thickened nails may be treated through self-care steps or medications. Unfourtanetly, even if treatment is successful, nail fungus often comes back.
If self-care steps haven’t helped and your nail becomes increasingly discolored, thickened or misshapen or you have any of the following, you should talk with your healthcare provider:
- Diabetes and think you’re developing nail fungus
- Bleeding around the nails
- Swelling or pain around the nails
- Difficulty walking