Healthy Turkey & Black-Eyed Pea Salad in 22 minutes
(BlackDoctor.org) — The blend of seasonings is a nice change from an ordinary salad, with an added zip of spice. If you prefer softer beans, cook the black eyed peas a little prior to putting in the skillet.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total Time: 22 mins
– • 2 cloves garlic, minced
– • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
– • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– • 1 10-ounce box frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
– • 1/3 cup sliced bread-and-butter pickles, plus 4 tablespoons pickling liquid
– • 8 ounces smoked turkey leg or breast, skin removed and meat, shredded
– • 4 scallions, thinly sliced
– • Kosher salt
– • Cayenne pepper
– • 1 tablespoon Creole or whole-grain mustard
– • 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
– • 10 cups torn arugula, escarole and/or romaine
– • 2 stalks celery, chopped (with leaves)–
Combine the garlic, thyme and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas and 2 tablespoons pickling liquid and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the turkey and heat through, about 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat and add the scallions, and salt and cayenne to taste. Discard the thyme.
Meanwhile, whisk the mustard and the remaining 2 tablespoons pickling liquid in a large bowl. Add salt and cayenne to taste, then gradually whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add the tomatoes and toss. Add the arugula, celery and pickles and toss again. Divide among bowls and top with the black-eyed peas and turkey.
Calories 318; Fat 18 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 43 mg; Sodium 1,047 mg; Carbohydrate 18 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 23 g