3 days. Stir before serving.
Per serving: 54 calories; 3 g fat ( 2 g sat, 1 g mono ); 10 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
BBQ Chicken Tenders
These crispy chicken tenders, made with boneless, skinless chicken breast, stay crispy with only a light coating of oil—no deep-frying needed. Serve as an appetizer or try them for dinner with crunchy vegetables and dip on the side.
Servings: About 24 tenders
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours (including 30 minutes marinating time)
1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders (see Note)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups coarse dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Note)
Olive oil or canola oil cooking spray
1. Combine barbecue sauce, mustard and honey in a large bowl. Set aside 1/2 cup of the sauce in a small bowl. Cut any large chicken tenders in half lengthwise, then add all the tenders to the large bowl with the remaining sauce; stir to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
3. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly beat eggs in another shallow dish. Place breadcrumbs in a third shallow dish. Coat each tender in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip in egg and let any excess drip off. Then roll in the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess.
4. Place the tenders on the prepared baking sheet. Generously coat both sides of each tender with cooking spray.
5. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn each tender over and continue baking until the outside is crisp and the tenders are cooked through, about 10 minutes more. Serve with the reserved sauce for dipping.
Per tender: 67 calories; 0 g fat ( 0 g sat , 0 g mono ); 28 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 1 g fiber; 141 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Smoky Corn & Black Bean Pizza
The secret to a grilled pizza is having all your ingredients ready to go before you head out to the grill. Make it a meal: Toss the extra black beans, diced tomato and avocado with prewashed salad greens and a tangy vinaigrette and dinner is on the table in no time.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 plum tomato, diced
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
1 cup fresh corn kernels, (about 2 ears)
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella, preferably smoked mozzarella
1. Preheat grill to medium.
2. Combine tomato, beans and corn in a medium bowl. Sprinkle cornmeal onto a large baking sheet. Stretch the dough into about a 12-inch circle and lay it on top of the cornmeal, coating the entire underside of the dough.
3. Transfer the crust from the baking sheet to the grill. Close the lid and cook until the crust is puffed and lightly browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Using a large spatula, flip the crust. Spread barbecue sauce on it and quickly sprinkle with the tomato mixture and cheese. Close the lid; grill until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the crust is browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 316 calories; 6 g fat ( 3 g sat, 0 g mono ); 13 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 530 mg sodium; 94 mg potassium.
Crunchy wheat cereal, pretzels and almonds coated in bittersweet chocolate make an addictive sweet-salty snack.
Servings: 4 (3/4 cup each)
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
1 cup Wheat Chex cereal, (2 ounces)
1 cup pretzel sticks broken in half, (2 ounces)
1/4 cup salted roasted almonds, (2 1/2 ounces)
3 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate chips, melted (see Tip
1. Combine Chex, pretzels and almonds in a medium bowl.
2. To melt chocolate: microwave on medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on medium in 20-second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval. Or place in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.
3. Drizzle with melted chocolate; stir to combine.
4. Spread the mixture on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Per serving: 218 calories; 8 g fat ( 2 g sat, 3 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 397 mg sodium; 176 mg potassium.