“Beans, beans, they’re good for your heart; the more you eat them the more you…”. I think you may know the rest, but did you know that this “magical little fruit” is good for plenty of other things like diabetes, cancer, obesity and HAIR GROWTH!?
If you are on the lookout for a simple and natural boost for your hair, try incorporating more beans into your diet. They are a great source of vitamin B6 and folic acid, magnesium, sulfur, zinc and biotin. All of these nutrients promote shiny, strong, moisturized hair that grows. Biotin, specifically, is known to boost the hair growth rate if regularly added into your daily diet. In fact, the American Diabetes Association recommends a serving of three cups of beans per week!
Try these three delicious recipes to get beans in your diet IMMEDIATELY!
Chocolate, Black Bean, Banana Smoothie
1 1/2 cups unsweetened chocolate almond milk (or soy, coconut, or rice milk)
1/4 cup cooked black beans, rinsed under water
1 banana, peeled
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup ice cubes
1/2 cup loosely-packed baby spinach
- Pour the almond milk into a blender jar.
- Add the black beans, banana and honey and blend on high for 15 seconds.
- Add the cocoa powder, instant coffee (if using) and vanilla, then the ice cubes and then the spinach.
- Blend on high until smooth, about 45 seconds.
- Drink immediately.
Black Bean and Corn Salad
Prep/Cook Time: 10 minutes
1 (7 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (5 ounce) can corn, drained
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/8 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/16 cup red onion, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.