Essential oils are beneficial for many reasons including improving various conditions, including headaches.
For those unfamiliar with essential oils, they are natural concentrated compounds extracted from plants. The essential oils are obtained via distillation, cold pressing, or other methods.
The essence of essential oils offers unique aromatic compounds from the plant barks, leaves, rinds, roots, and seeds that they are extracted from.
READ: 5 Essentials To Living Longer & Healthier
What essential oils are good for headaches, including migraines and tension headaches?
There are a few essential oils that work best for headaches, including migraines and tension headaches.
Migraines, which are characterized by a sensitivity to sound and light, can cause throbbing in a particular area with varying intensity.
Tension headaches can be triggered by lack of sleep, poor posture, and stress, with pain on both sides of the head.
READ: Migraines: Can CBD Oil Alleviate the Symptoms?
The essential oils that are good for these headaches include:
- Chamomile Oil – acts as a sedative to relax the body and soothe muscles.
- Eucalyptus Oil – improves respiratory conditions leading up to headache tension and pain.
- Lavender Oil – anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving with calming properties.
- Peppermint Oil – contains menthol to help relax muscles and ease pain; stimulates blood flow and eliminates inflammation.
- Rosemary Oil – reduces stress and insomnia, relieves pain, improves circulation, and relaxes tense muscles.
RELATED: Use These 5 Essential Oils For Better Health!
The best essential oil for sinus headache
Eucalyptus oil is also good for sinus headaches, which feel like an infection in the sinuses. There is pressure around the cheeks, eyes, and forehead with sinus headaches.
Eucalyptus oil opens up nasal passages, clears sinuses, and relieves the tension that causes sinus headaches.
READ THIS: 6 Oils To Help Heal Scars Naturally
Essential oils for hormonal headaches
Peppermint, lavender, and rosemary oils work best for hormonal or menstrual headaches, which begin before or during a woman’s period.