Q&A: How Can I Treat Blemishes & Skin Discoloration?

woman face skinQ: I have been dealing with blemishes for a while now and I’m wondering what can I use for it and discoloration of my skin, too. – Koretta O.

A: At the drugstore you can purchase a product with glycolic or salicylic acid to exfoliate the skin and help bring those dark skin cells to the surface. Or, you can go to a dermatologist and get a glycolic acid peel to lighten up the dark spots.

An over-the-counter drugstore solution, RoC Retinol Correxion Instant Facial Smoother, and for prescription remedies try Differin, Tazorac or Retin-A Micro.

One last word of advice: apply sunscreen daily. Sunscreen can help prevent acne discoloration from getting worse. Also, Many people in our community do not see the need for sunscreen, but we can also be diagnosed with skin cancer.


Visit the BlackDoctor.org Skin and Beauty center for more helpful articles and tips.

Dr. Renee WHITE COAT HS Frame head onlyIf you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ‘Ask Dr. Renee’. Follow me on Twitter @AskDrRenee and on my website.