|A Responsible and Safe Weight-loss Program
Experts agree that the best way to reach a healthy weight is to
follow a sensible eating plan and engage in regular physical activity.
Weight-loss programs should encourage healthy behaviors that help you lose
weight and that you can maintain over time. Safe and effective weight-loss
programs should include:
- Healthy eating plans that reduce calories but do not rule out specific foods
or food groups
- Regular physical activity and/or exercise instruction
- Tips on healthy behavior changes that also consider your cultural needs
- Slow and steady weight loss of about ¾ to 2 pounds per week and not more than
3 pounds per week (weight loss may be faster at the start of a program)
- Medical care if you are planning to lose weight by following a special
formula diet, such as a very-low-calorie diet
- A plan to keep the weight off after you have lost it
Gather as much information as you can before deciding to join a
program. Providers of weight-loss programs should be able to answer these
- What does the weight-loss program consist of?
- What are the staff qualifications?
- Does the product or program carry any risks?
- How much does the program costs?
- What results do participants typically have?
|What does the weight-loss program consist of?
- Does the program offer individual counseling and/or group classes?
- Do you have to follow a specific meal plan or keep food records?
- Do you have to purchase special food, drugs, or supplements?
- Does the program encourage you to be physically active, follow a specific
physical activity plan, or provide exercise instruction?
- Does the program provide information on how to make positive and healthy
- Is the program sensitive to your lifestyle and cultural needs?
|What are the
- Who supervises the program?
- What type of weight management training, experience, education, and
certifications does the staff have?
the product or program carry any risks?
- Are there risks related to following the program’s eating or exercise plans?
much does the program cost?
- What is the total cost of the program?
- Are there recurring costs such as weekly attendance fees, costs of food and
supplement purchases, etc?
- Are there additional fees for a follow-up program or to re-enter the program
for follow-up after you lose weight?
- Are there additional fees for medical tests?
|What results do participants typically have?
How much weight does an average participant lose and how long have they kept
off all or part of their weight?
Can the program provide references?
If you are interested in locating a weight-loss program in your area, ask
your health care provider for a referral or contact your local hospital. For
additional general information, contact:
Weight-control Information Network (WIN)
1 WIN Way
Tel: (202) 828-1025
E-mail: [email protected]