If you’re the type who’d do almost anything else besides a 30-minute gym run, these alternatives are for you. Here are other ways to reap the same calorie-burning benefits without a seemingly boring run.
Try a different machine
Think your cardio only comes from the treadmill? Think again. Raise your heart rate with another machine at the gym. Try a spinning class to burn major calories, check out the row machine for an all-body workout, or go full-force on the elliptical. Each of these will burn major calories while being less hard on your legs and knees.
Many people say they hate the treadmill because it’s boring and don’t think that they can run for a long time. High-intensity intervals help in both these cases. And you don’t have to stick to the treadmill. Bundle up with your favorite cold-weather running gear and hit the trails, and alternate your vigorous runs with jogging.
Try a combination of these:
This explosive move strengthens your legs and will leave even the fittest among us sweaty and out of breath, especially if you’re doing ’em right. Here’s how it goes:
– Stand with feet hip-width apart and abs engaged (flex!).
– Keeping arms relaxed at your sides, take a big step forward with right leg and shift your weight forward so right heel touches the floor first.
– Lower your body until right leg is parallel to the floor and knee is lined up over ankle (think: 90-degree angle).
– Now, jump! Jump up, quickly switching the position of your feet in midair to bring left leg forward and right leg behind you.
– To help with this ninja-like jump switch, use your arms to help propel you into the air while you jump.
– Land as gently as you can in a basic lunge position with left leg forward and right leg back.
– Repeat this jump-switching continuously for 1 minute or longer.
This classic move involves your whole body and it’s the one we love to hate.
– Stand with feet hip-width apart and make sure your core is engaged.
– Jump up, then immediately drop to the floor, placing hands on the floor and shooting feet back so you’re in a high plank position.
– Do a push-up.
– Quickly jump feet back to hands and, in one movement, stand and jump up.
Out of time? Kill two fat-blasting birds with one stone by