Red Pepper and Chickpea Salad
1 English cucumber, diced
1 ½ cups roasted chickpeas
3 roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
¼ cup roughly chopped parsley
¼ cup pickled red onion, roughly chopped
3 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
Crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cucumber, roasted chickpeas, roasted red peppers, parsley, pickled red onion, and balsamic vinaigrette. Toss together until combined.
- Top the salad with crumbled goat cheese and serve.
Green Bean Casserole
1 ½ pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
⅓ cup olive oil, divided
10 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup chicken broth, or vegetable broth for vegan
1 ½ cups almond milk, cashew milk, or other dairy-free milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp arrowroot powder
4 to 5 shallots, thinly sliced into rings
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the green beans. Blanch the green beans for 4-5 minutes, or until slightly tender but still crisp.
- Immediately transfer the green beans to an ice water bath, drain, and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat in a large pan. Add the diced onion and sliced mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until soft.
- Stir in the tamari soy sauce, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken broth and milk, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Make a slurry by stirring the arrowroot powder with 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Turn off the stove, pour the slurry into the pan, and stir until the sauce has thickened.
- Transfer about ⅓ of the mushroom sauce to a baking pan, add the green beans on top, then top with the remaining sauce. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
- While the green beans are baking, add the sliced shallots to a pan with 1/4 cup or so of olive oil. Heat on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring the shallots, then reduce the heat to low and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Keep a close eye on the shallots after 7-8 minutes, as they go from golden to burnt very quickly.
- Once the shallots are lightly golden, remove them to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Remove the green bean casserole from the oven, top with the crispy shallots, and serve.