Heartbreaking! 3-Year-Old Dies After Being Fed Grilled Cheese

(Photo credit: Slivera family/abcnews)

Food allergies have taken another life! I am so sad to hear about Elijah Silvera. He was a 3-year old little boy who was a student at Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services in Harlem. Apparently he was given a grilled cheese sandwich on November 3, 2017 and he had a dairy allergy. According to abcnews.com Elijah’s mother was called instead of 911 and she had to drive him to the hospital. It is unknown if an Epi-pen was on site at the school. If this is true precious time had been wasted and ultimately the young man’s life was cut short.

A GoFundMe crowdsourcing page has been set up for the young man’s funeral expenses as well as cost of a second and independent autopsy. The family states that it is unclear where responsibility for Elijah’s death will fall between the pre-k and the hospital itself. There are protocols that both the hospital and preschool must follow. They seek to sort out exactly where, if any, breakdowns may have occurred at either the school or the hospital. Having a third party medical examination will ensure our ability to get a clear picture. They state simply, “We just want justice for Elijah.”

Allergy expert, Dr. Renee Matthews, shares just how all of this could have been avoided and what you need to do for your loved ones.

Can dairy be lethal for a person suffering from such allergy? – Yes, yes, and yes! How do I know this? I myself have several food allergies and even when I have the slightest crumb of something I am not suppose to, I get SICK! Sick = my throat begins to close and I start wheezing. I eat out and sometimes I ask about what is in the food or how it is prepared but sometimes I do not trust what I am told so I literally dissect my bite to make sure. One day at breakfast I did my usual and still had an allergic reaction. So I thought I was eating a banana muffin but it was a banana chocolate chip or nut muffin. This still remains a mystery because they both illicit the same reaction in my body.

Do people suffering from these allergies need to eat huge amounts of the allergen to get sick or a small amount may be enough to provoke severe reactions, or even death (as in the case of the little boy)? – As I stated above NOPE!! A crumb has set me off before. I get sick with a small amount don’t usually make it to a large amount.

(Photo credit: Slivera family/abcnews)

The American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology says, “A food allergy reaction occurs when your immune system…