Q: What are good natural herbs that lower high blood pressure – Antoine N.
A: There is not a lot of extensive research to prove that herbs help lower blood pressure. Therefore you should definitely tell your doctor what herbs you plan to take especially if they prescribe medication, some herbs will counteract with medications.
Here are some herbs that are believed to lower blood pressure:
- Rauwolfia serpentina (snakeroot)
- Stephania tetrandra (tetrandrine)
- Panax notoginseng (ginseng)
- Crataegus species (hawthorn)
I would recommend 30-60 minutes of activity three to four days a week and a change in diet to lower blood pressure. Here are some suggestions:
- Eating more fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy foods
- Cutting back on foods that are high in saturated fat, cholesterol and total fat
- Eating more whole grain products, fish, poultry and nuts
- Eating less red meat and sweets
- Eating foods that are rich in magnesium, potassium and calcium
Visit the BlackDoctor.org High Blood Pressure center for more helpful articles and tips.