don’t trust God
BDO: What are some signs that would alert people it’s time to seek a mental health professional?
FH: Here are few signs that should alarm people to seek medical attention or talk to a mental health profession.
- Excessive fears or worries
- Withdrawal from friends/family/activities/Isolation (Loner)
- Problems sleeping/Increase in sleeping
- Detachment from reality (delusions) or hallucinations
- Inability to cope with daily problems or stress
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Increase or decrease in appetite
- Sex drive changes
- Excessive anger, increased irritability, hostility or violence
- Suicidal thinking, suicidal plan
- Hearing voices or seeing things that others don’t see or hear
- Constant thoughts about death
- Inability to function
- Mood swings
- Impulsive behavior (Travel, Spending money, or sexual relationships)
BDO: What are some steps people can take when they have a loved one that needs mental health care but the loved one is in denial?
FH: Here are a few strategies to help people get their loved ones helped.
Stay calm. It’s easy to imagine the worst-case scenario, but signs of mental illness often overlap with other problems.
Consider whether there are other circumstances that might be affecting the person’s mood or behavior. Did the person recently experience a shock, such as the death of a loved one? Have they recently lost a job or started a new school?
Start by talking to him or her. Express your concerns without placing blame. You might say, “I’ve noticed that you