My Story: Near Fatal Crash, Paralyzed, But Still Standing!

(Photo Credit: @thediylady on Instagram)

When we first learned of Lizzy O.’s story, it was heartbreaking. But as we read on, we quickly found out that it was her attitude that shined even brighter than her beauty. That’s what made her story so compelling, so wonderful and such a breath of fresh air.

Talk about motivation?!  Lizzy was a beautiful teenage girl who had everything she needed and was studying to be a nurse. But in March of 2008, everything changed. With what happened to Lizzy would break certain people not only physically, but mentally, but it only made her stronger. The now-married Lizzy shares what happened and what changed her in her own words below (story first seen here):

On Sunday, March 23rd 2008, after spring break, I packed my things, and went to the living room to bid my parents farewell before going back to school. Before I got into the car, I got quite indecisive and even asked my parents if they thought it was a good idea to drive. After some time had passed, I decided to call a friend, who was also going to school, so we could drive in a convoy. We planned to meet each other at a gas station, to embark on our three and a half to four hour journey from Texas to Oklahoma. When I got there, I still felt uneasy and even contemplated leaving my car at the gas station for my dad to pick up. But when I thought about having to keep asking people for rides at school, I decided to get over “this back-and-forth” crap, and get in my car already.

The drive began and I had some Sammie Okposo playing in the car. I started singing “Jesus I thank you,….” Not too loud, not too low, just something to keep me awake. I drove behind my friend, and everything appeared fine. I wasn’t drunk, talking on the phone, or doing one of those driving don’ts.

I later learned from my friend that about 30 to 40 minutes to our destination, she looked back in her rear mirror, and saw my car flipping. The cops at the scene and everyone who “witnessed” the whole situation couldn’t explain what happened or caused the accident, as my car was the only one involved. My car flipped over for about 4 times, and it was up-side-down when the ambulance and helicopter crew got there.

I honestly, till this day, don’t remember how the accident happened. I only remember what happened after the accident. I had a feeling that I was upside down, and I saw a police officer in an upside down manner telling me not to close my eyes and stay with him. I told him I felt like sleeping, and he warned me not to sleep. I remember thinking “see me see something oo, I should not sleep ke, what is a police officer doing here gan self?” I attempted to close my eyes again, then I heard the police officer telling me calmly that I had been involved in a car accident, and I had to stay awake. In my head I was like “accident?”

He began asking me a variety of questions such as my name, phone number, my parent’s phone number e.t.c. When the number of questions reduced, I started saying over and over again “I shall live, I shall not die. I shall live to declare the glory of the Lord, to the declare the works of the Lord, to declare the counsel of the Lord, in the land of the living, in this year 2008, and several, several years to come”.

After the accident, I was flown by helicopter to a nearby hospital in the state of Oklahoma (OU Medical Center). The doctors said the accident affected my spinal cord at C4 level, and about 3 to 4 different surgeries were performed during the course of my stay at the hospital. I couldn’t move my legs or my arms and couldn’t even shrug my shoulders.

Starting Over

I don’t remember a lot of things that happened the first couple of days, but I remember my parents and best friend being in the hospital room, and they all had the “oh God” look on their faces. All I could think of was to assure them that I was fine. Then, I remember asking jokingly, “Is my face messed up or alright”? That question seemed to lighten everyone’s mood and they all burst out laughing because my face was not affected by the accident in a major way. Just little bruises here and there. Hearing them laugh in the midst of the chaos and “fear of the unknown” was very therapeutic to me. After the laughter, we went on talking about how much they all know I love my face and we talked about so many other little things that livened the mood (at least to a certain level).  I stayed in the hospital for a little over a month, most of which was spent in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), and was then transferred to a rehabilitation center also in Oklahoma (Valir Rehab).

I stayed at that rehab for about another month, trying to re-learn to do basic things I could do before, such as eating, sitting without falling, brushing my teeth, holding a comb and so many other little things I couldn’t believe I was unable to do; I couldn’t sit without being held up by pillows, my left hand was in a cast and I could only use my right hand, which wasn’t completely functional because my fingers were curled inwards, and of course, I couldn’t walk or even dress myself. My neck had a collar around it to steady my neck and spine, so rehabilitation was not fun.

The left hand brace was off after a while but I was nowhere near being able to do things on my own. I moved back to Texas where I stayed in another rehabilitation center (Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation) for yet another month of vigorous therapy. There I learned how to do a lot more and began learning how to be as independent as possible on the wheelchair. Over the years, I’ve attended several other out-patient facilities to continue my strengthening exercises and therapies.

Support from Family and Friends

Family support, including support from my best friend, my boyfriend and certain other friends was something I didn’t…