prevent and control conditions that can cause it, such as coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity.
Heart failure signs and symptoms may include:
- Shortness of breath with activity or when lying down
- Fatigue and weakness
- Swelling in the legs, ankles and feet
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Reduced ability to exercise
- Persistent cough or wheezing with white or pink blood-tinged mucus
- Swelling of the belly area (abdomen)
- Very rapid weight gain from fluid buildup
- Nausea and lack of appetite
- Difficulty concentrating or decreased alertness
- Chest pain if heart failure is caused by a heart attack
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you think you might be experiencing signs or symptoms of heart failure. Call 911 or emergency medical help if you have any of the following:
- Chest pain
- Fainting or severe weakness
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat associated with shortness of breath, chest pain or fainting
- Sudden, severe shortness of breath and coughing up white or pink, foamy mucus
She said her son does not drink or do drugs, which are known factors in increasing the risk of heart failure and stroke.
“They have run a number of tests on him to see what could have possibly made this happen to him,” Nene Leakes said. “We are still trying to figure it out, because if we knew the cause, obviously we could treat the cause.”
After a brief pause after the first set of videos, Leakes returned to her social media to talk about the one-year death anniversary of Brentt’s father, Gregg Leakes, who died in September 2021 at age 66 after a three-year battle with colon cancer. Leakes said this past September was particularly difficult for her son.
View this post on Instagram
“He was very close to his dad, and he’s been super stressed out over it,” she said. “I don’t even know if that has anything to do with it at all. I really ask the doctors questions like that, and they seem to think that is not the case with Brentt.”