How To Prevent Caregiver Burnout
- Take deep breaths
- Leave the room (you can say you need to use the bathroom) and count slowly to 20
- Listen to music with gentle sounds and soft rhythms
- Take a nap (time permitting)
- Exercise regularly
- Consciously relax each tense muscle from your toes to your forehead
- When you have more time, practice some basic relaxation meditation or visualization techniques to help restore your equilibrium
LIKE BlackDoctor.org on Facebook! Get Your Daily Medicine…For LIFE!
Consider this analogy – when flight attendants go through the safety briefing before a plane takes off they tell you that in case of emergency, place the oxygen mask on yourself before you place it on someone else. The logic is simple—you can’t save someone else if you have passed out from oxygen deprivation. The same concept applies in caregiving.